MENU is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.

Helpful Facts for New Arizona Residents

After moving to Arizona, new residents can ease their transition by reviewing the facets of their new life and learning more about their new state. For instance, by checking the provisions of the Arizona tax laws, you will be better prepared for filing your taxes. You must also learn how and where to transfer your driver's license and vehicle documents, as the state motor vehicle laws require you to transfer your out-of-state credentials as soon as possible after your move. Families can also conduct a research for the best schools in their area through the website of the Department of Education prior to enrolling their children in school. Individuals with special medical needs, on the other hand, can obtain a list of Arizona healthcare facilities through the online portal of the Department of Health Services. After completing the tasks outlined above, you can arrange a trip and visit some of the best sights and landmarks Arizona has to offer in order to learn more about the culture and history of your new state. Review several facts that will help you adjust to your new life in Arizona in the below sections:

  • Arizona Tax Obligations
  • Transferring your out-of-state motor vehicle documents
  • Finding a school and a medical facility in Arizona

Arizona Tax Obligations

United States citizens must meet certain tax obligations on a regular basis. The laws that govern the administration of taxes vary from state to state. Per these state-specific laws, for instance, the applicable taxes, the identity of the individuals subject to certain taxes and the amount of due returns may differ from those in your former state. A married couple filing jointly in AZ, for instance, will be required to file their taxes if their gross income is at least $15,000 or if their adjusted gross income is at least $11,000. Unmarried individuals, on the other hand will be required to file taxes if their adjusted gross income is at least $5,500. Also, the following types of income are not taxed in Arizona:

  • Military payments of active duty personnel and National Guard members
  • Funds received under the Railroad Retirement Act
  • Social Security retirement benefits
  • Interest from U.S. government obligations

The state of Arizona also taxes income obtained from another state. Retirement funds from your former state, for example, are taxable under AZ tax laws. Certain groups of vulnerable citizens, such as the taxpayer's dependents, blind individuals and the elderly may be eligible for additional tax exemptions in Arizona. Note that all counties within the state also levy a Sales and Use tax. The tax rates vary from county to county. To learn more about the tax requirements, tax rates and withholding rates, consult the corresponding tax form received from the Department of Revenue.

Transferring Your Out-Of-State Motor Vehicle Documents

An important step after moving to another state is to transfer your out-of-state driving credentials in order to avoid certain fines and penalties for driving without documents. New Arizona residents who have been licensed in another state, and/or those that own a vehicle titled and registered outside of AZ, will be required to apply for new credentials through the state Department of Transportation (DOT) as soon as they establish residency. Note that new residents may only have a limited amount of time to complete the above procedures. If they fail to do so within this time period, they are in violation of the state motor vehicle laws.

To assist new residents in meeting their DMV obligations in a fast and straightforward manner, the state DOR offers several methods of application for both driving licenses and vehicle documents. For instance, drivers can initiate the application process for a license to drive via the department's website. Then, during the office visit, DMV officials can process your request in a more expeditious manner, as the mandatory information is already present in the system. When applying for an AZ car registration and vehicle title, on the other hand, you can complete both procedures with a single application form.

In addition to obtaining the proper documents from the AZ DOR, new residents may be required to complete certain transactions with other state agencies as well. For example, you are required to update your address with the Social Security Administration and the U.S. Postal Service in order to ensure you receive important items, such as government benefits and mail-in correspondence.

Finding a School and a Medical Facility in Arizona

When adjusting to a new life in another state, movers will generally have to locate new facilities that offer them essential services, such as banks, hospitals and educational facilities. Families with children or adults who would like to continue their education can easily conduct a thorough research of the available educational institutions in their new residential area through the website of the AZ Department of Education. The department's search engine allows you to filter your results by name, city, county or ZIP code. To find an adequate medical facility, on the other hand, new state residents can visit the website of the Arizona Department of Health Services. By accessing the databases of various healthcare facilities and providers, users can locate all available facilities in their residential area, as well as their contact information.